Kind of a cross between a muffin and a cookie, these energy bars have become a family staple–they are quick, easy, satisfying and delicious.
My Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies are based on this recipe.
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1 cup applesauce
2 tsp vanilla
Optional: dried nuts, fruit, coconut (I like about a half cup of craisins)
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
2. Make a well in the center and add wet ingredients.
3. Mix wet ingredients together as much as possible before mixing with dry ingredients.
4. Add any fruit or nuts
5. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until bottoms are just turning brown.
Yield: 2 dozen